Monday, October 20, 2014

Changing to a Low Carb Diet



Over the past few months my life has felt in turmoil. I refuse to get into any details but the bottom line is my body has changed. I developed an insulin resistance to a healthy diet. This is not fun, when hard core food monitoring and calorie counting don't even budge the scale.

I have tried all I know how to do as far as dieting except one creature from my past. The Low-Carb Diet. I used this diet in my early 20's after my bout with my freshmen 50. It worked, I loved it, it was easy. It became my lifestyle for 5 years. Eleven years later I don't eat much meat, cheese, eggs, butter, cream, anything full fat. So as I  filled my shopping cart with these things for the first time in years, my stomach turned. It is the complete opposite of how I eat, but I am praying it works to reset my body to proper function.

Day Negative One: Grocery shopping begins. I began racking my brain, what on earth did I used to eat? I went the store and filled the cart with the following: salmon, tilapia, shrimp, chicken, bacon, cold cuts, cheese (what the heck!), eggs, nuts and club soda. I also picked up several bags of frozen broccoli and cauliflower.

Day One: Breakfast
It has been years since I had an omelet. I made an omelet with 2 eggs a sprinkle of cheese, ham and some dark greens. It was a beautiful omelet. As I ate it I felt full, however somewhat nauseated.
Lunch: I stuck with my usual lunch of a big salad full of veggies and half a can of albacore tuna. I added some feta cheese and some creamy dressing. It was hard to get through, too much richness!
Dinner: Non original chicken and lots of veggies.
Snacks: Cheese sticks and cold cuts, Chicken broth with veggies and an egg.

By the end of the day I felt so ill. Through the night I had hot sweats and got up to pee four times!

Day 2:  I couldn't bring myself to eat eggs.  I had eaten 3 the day before, I probably hadn't had 3 eggs in the last year. I wanted to gag. I made some turkey bacon with greens on the side. Much better.

I decided to become more experimental with the menu. I stuck to my salad for lunch but for dinner I made a spicy, shrimp soup. It was really good. I laid in bed most of the day on day 2. Just feeling so sick. I WANT FRUIT!  lol but I am the last one to cheat, especially on a diet. When you are only cheating yourself, it seems pretty stupid.

Day 3: I am feeling more human. I have over come any cravings and the awful nausea.  I am taking a new approach to this, I am going to be creative as much as I can in finding better ways to eat this low-carb food. Recipes and pictures will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!