Friday, February 28, 2014

Hurricane Candle Birthday Gift

I love making my friends homemade gifts. DH and I have been in to cutting wine bottles lately and I have been experimenting with gift ideas for them. Here's one we came up with.


Hurricane Candle Birthday Gift

For this project we used:
One wine bottle with the bottom cut off
(To see how I cut the bottles, click here: CUTTING GLASS BOTTLES)
Mod Podge Photo Transfer Medium
Mod Podge - Gloss
Images
Sponges
Wash cloth


I selected a bottle I wanted to use for the hurricane candle.


Then we created an image for the bottle.


When using this medium, you need to reverse the image.


We printed the image on a laser printer on regular white paper.


Trimmed the image to the desired size.


Smothered the image with the transfer medium.


With a sponge brush, smoothed it out. 


Gently and carefully applied the paper to the bottle. Then we waited over night for it to dry completely.

With a wet wash cloth, I moistened the paper. Then carefully and some what tediously rubbed the paper off. 


Being careful around the edges, the layers of paper peeled off.


Once the paper was off, I blotted the bottle dry.


Then applied a nice coat of Mod Podge for a finished look.


It looked pretty good.



It had an unfinished look to me though, so I added a princess charm around the neck of the bottle.


Then I added a chain to the charm. Looks complete to me :)




One note on this project. My bottle was too flat at the bottom. So when I lite a candle and put the bottle over it the candle would go out. TG DH is smart, he said it wasnt getting enough air. So I added these cute gem stickers on the bottom to let air in and candle burned wonderfully.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!