Thursday, April 4, 2013

Adventures in Mung Beans


I have always wanted to try sprouting. As far as I knew it involved a bunch of special equipment from the health food store. I have checked the kits out before, but never committed to the expense.  I recently found out I could sprout at home using the equipment I already had. 

Sprouted Mung Beans
1 Mason Jar
Cheese Cloth
Jar ring or rubber band
1/4 dried mung beans


Rinse dried mung beans and put in the jar. Fill the jar with water and let soak for 24 hours. Cover top of the jar with cheese cloth and secure with a jar ring or rubber band.
Drain water after initial soak.

Now, every day for 3-5 days rinse your beans by pouring water through the cheese cloth, gently swooshing and draining the water through the cloth. I sat my jar on an upside down slant so it could continue to drain if needed. Keep in a non-direct light location.

These guys sprouted within hours and after 3 days they were ready to eat. 
Before you eat them, pour them out of the jar and give them a good rinse in a colander. Discard any strange looking sprouts i.e. ones that didnt sprout or that are a different color. Put sprout on a paper towel in a container, cover and eat them within 2 weeks. 

They are really easy to grow, very delicious and super nutritious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!