Monday, October 22, 2012

Re-Invented Stuffed Peppers

It is a great time of year for stuffed peppers. They are gorgeous, in season and very affordable this time of year. I simply couldn't resist getting some at the market.  I decided to make use of other goodies I had around the house and to change my recipe up. The result was delicious, healthy, filling, stuffed red peppers.

I used 2 large red peppers. I washed and cut them in half.



I removed their seeds and ribs and put on a heated grill to roast. I usually steam them but was looking to try something different.



Meanwhile, I grilled a few tomatillo's I had that my sister had grown in her garden.



For the filling I made quinoa with sliced onions and chopped and roasted red peppers. When it was done I added diced, grilled tofu, the grilled tomatillo's (chopped), a few tablespoons of black beans and a can of diced tomatoes. 



I stuffed the grilled peppers and baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, topped the peppers with a few strands of cheese from a string cheese stick, returned to oven until cheese melted.


Stuffed Pepper Ingredients
2 Red peppers (for 4 servings)
Filling (See notes)
Cheese if desired

Wash and cut peppers in half. Remove their seeds and ribs and put on a heated grill to roast until soften.
Stuff the grilled peppers with filling and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. 
Remove from oven and  top few strands of cheese if desired, return to oven until cheese has melted.

Filling Notes
The filling can be anything you like. I suggest starting with a rice or quinoa base and then adding your favorite veggies and seasonings. This time I used quinoa, in a past recipe posted HERE  I used a brown rice base and added corn, tomatoes and seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!