Friday, May 18, 2012

Veggie Inspired

The bodega by my house is having a great sale on produce this week. I woke up Monday morning craving nutritious food so it was great timing. Here are a couple things I made this week with my bounty of produce.

Baked Herb'd Chicken with Spinach and Roasted Pepper with Veggie Quinoa


I baked the chicken that I had seasoned with herbs, salt and pepper while roasting the red peppers. Once they were cooked I peeled the chard skin from the pepper, topped it with a handful of spinach, topped with chicken, some crumbled feta and a few pieces of diced pepper. 

The qunioa was made by sauteing thinly sliced onions, adding quinoa and then chicken broth and cooking though. Near the end of cooking I added a bunch of spinach cut chiffonade and let it wilt and cook down. Near the end of that I added some carrot that I had shredded. It was a new way to cook the quinoa, but it is so universal you can do anything with it. 2 thumbs up from me and DH as well.


Stuffed Mushrooms


I haven't made stuffed shrooms in ages. I used to make them all the time but with diet changes and life changes, I had abandoned my old friend. DH loves mushrooms and so do I but I knew it was time to re-make theses boys when an old friend of mine said "I used to have a friend who used to make me stuffed mushrooms." I knew they must be missed and it was time to reinvent them to fit out dietary style. The old recipe had a block of cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese and ground meat as well.

For this recipe I cleaned the mushrooms, removed and trimmed the stems and chopped them. I sauteed some finely chopped onion with the chopped stems until cooked down. I added my favorite herbs and a pinch of nutmeg and then added diced red pepper and some spinach cut chiffonade and melted a tablespoon of low-fat, lower calorie butter and a couple tablespoons of panko and parm cheese. Remarkably, they were full of flavor. For a little richness I added 2 teaspoons of light sour cream. I cooled the filling and cooked the mushroom caps in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes each side to release some of the water. Then I stuffed them, sprinkled with a tiny bit more panko and baked for about 15 more minutes. They were out of this world! Welcome back stuffed mushrooms to our lives :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!