Friday, April 27, 2012

Spring Rolls in Spring Time

I have never made spring rolls but had a fascination with the beautiful rice wrappers. I had seen them on a cooking show before and wanted to try them out. 

I started by making a healthy filling for the spring rolls. I cheated a bit and bought a bag of broccoli slaw. It had shredded cabbage, carrots and brocolini in it. 

I sauteed some thinly sliced onions, then added the slaw, 1/8 cup lean, diced ham and a good amount of grated ginger. I cooked the veggies down and and seasoned with a little soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar. 


Now for the rice wrapper transformation. Not many photos here since it takes both hands. I boiled a pan of water, turned off heat and let cool enough that I could stick my hand in it. Then tightly holding the rice wrapper, I dipped one side of the wrapper in the water for 10 seconds, flipped and dipped the other side for 10 seconds and then once more on the first side. Quickly I put the wrapper on a plate with a bit of water on it so it didn't stick.


Once the wrapper was completely flexible I put a scoop of the filling on it and rolled it.


Tada!


I put them on a sheet pan and baked them at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. You could eat them without cooking them too.


While the spring rolls baked I made sushi rolls. 


Once the spring rolls are baked and the sushi has been cut, you have a wonderful, tasty and healthy meal! The rice wrappers only have 33 calories a piece and the filling is full of nutrition and low calorie. 


All of the food is extremely filling for the actually amount of calories. That is my kind of meal.



2 comments:

  1. Looks great! What do you put in your Sushi? Is it crab or shrimp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used crab, avocado and cucumber. I stuck spear of asparagus in one roll this time for fun. It provided a wonderful crunch. DH wants me to try shrimp sometime, so that's what I'll do for him next time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!