Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Bountiful Basket Experience

While visiting my parents in Idaho this past weekend I was able to experience the joy of Bountiful Baskets. What a lovely experience it was. Being such a produce lover I was exhilarated with the bounty of fruits and vegetables. In one of the baskets my Mom bought there were a couple of pounds of tomatillos, cilantro and peppers and I was truly inspired to create a salsa from these ingredients. Here is the recipe I made.


Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa

  • 2 pound tomatillos, husked and halved
  • 1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1-2 jalapenos, sliced in half and de-seeded
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 lime, juiced

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeño's on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. 
Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor. Add the cumin, salt, cilantro and lime juice and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!