Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Here's To My New Love...Butternut Squash

DH has always been fond of butternut squash. He likes it mashed, smashed and served like mashed potatoes. I always thought it was okay, but have never been a huge fan.  We were at the farmers market on Saturday and they had piles and piles of fresh, new season squash.  DH wanted a butternut squash, so we picked one up.  
Day one of cooking with squash

I made risotto with butternut squash. Simply adding cubed squash with the onions and then proceeding as usual with a basic risotto recipe. The squash is tender by the time the cooking is finished.The aborio rice is creamy, oh yum!


While I was cooking the risotto, I sliced up some squash, drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled with salt pepper. About an hour later, I took the squash out of the oven. To my amaze, it had caramelized itself beautifully. It tasted like savory candy. I am IN LOVE with butternut squash. The idea that it is so delicious and so easy to put together is very appealing.



Day two of cooking with squash: Butternut Squash Soup 



This has to be the easiest recipe ever! Not to mention very tasty. I cubed the rest of the squash (I had half left), diced half an onion, one carrot and one celery stalk. Sautéed for about 7 minutes with a tiny bit of butter. Then I covered the veggies with chicken broth, about 4 cups, brought that  to a boil then simmered for 20 minutes. After that the veggies were nice and tender I ran them through the blender. Voila! A little pepper and on top and the soup is done. It is beautiful, healthy and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!