Sunday, April 11, 2010

Menu Planning

I have been on a new journey in the kitchen lately. Giving a try to new food items (well...new to me) and also successfully attempting to eat less meat. I know in my heart I have always been an eco-loving girl. My love for animals, innocence and earthly beauty has always swayed me to try to help the earth where I can.

I was recently reading an article in my Body and Soul magazine about the harm that eating meat does to the earth. I have not been a beef lover for years and have narrowed my diet to chicken, turkey and fish as far as meat products go. I challenged myself last week to eat even less animal. I was pleased with my results and also with my husband's willingness to eat less meat and explore alternative proteins. We both try to exercise so protein and fiber are mainly our priorities in our diets. Again, I am very thankful to be married to a veggie loving, open minded man who will try anything I imagine up as long as it is non processed and fresh.

My experiments last week were as follows:

Monday: Veggie chili. DH is the chili master in our house. I rarely attempt it since his recipe is to die for. However, I decided to give it a shot. Based on his recipe, I omitted the meat, pale ale and the fresh peppers. Amazingly, it turned out great and DH complimented me, I was thrilled. This dish is great. It can be frozen and the left overs are great re-heated on a day I cant cook.

Tuesday: Tofu Burgers. I was a little worried. I used to eat a lot of tofu and then I just quit one day. I am not sure why. Anyhow, I sauted onions and celery (finely chopped) mixed with crumbled tofu, bread crumbs and an egg white. I seasoned with salt, pepper and a little basil. They were DELICIOUS and amazingly savory.

Wednesday: TVP tacos. I made my husband favorite meal for dinner, tacos. After he ate the first one, I asked how they were. He thought they were great, then I confessed I used TVP instead of meat. He loved it, I loved it, no fat and 2 g of sodium per serving. Hooray, we have a new player in our quest for meatless meals.

Thursday: Salmon Patties and soy cucumbers. DH was reading the paper and found this recipe for me to try. It was delicious and I will make it again. RECIPE HERE

Friday: Pesto Pizza. Well, I tried but the MS gets me and I couldn't move much on Friday. Thankfully DH picked us up a de-lite pizza for dinner.

I am so excited to cook more with TVP and my old pal tofu. This week I am hoping to try TVP sloppy joes, miso soup (with tofu) with steamed TVP ginger won-tons and home ground chicken burgers. May the kitchen and the MS gods bless me enough to succeed with these new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!